Group Captain Salaudeen Adebola Latinwo (retd) is a specialist in Aviation Technology and Management. On the implication of deploying soldiers to war fronts without the required equipment, the retired military officer said there would be a revolt by the troops if such a thing happens. With that, the soldiers will not be able to face the enemies who had more sophisticated equipment.
He said the Nigerian amry had liberated over 19 local government areas from the insurgents. The speaker said the Nigerian military had never been so committed in the fight against insurgency. According to him, "as of now, only one local government is yet to be liberated from the clutch of the Boko Haram insurgents in Borno State. "They have driven the Boko Haram to the bush.
Last year, the deaths attributed to Boko Haram alone increased by more than 300%, it said. The President extended his heartfelt condolence to the families of the victims as well as to the government and people of Adamawa and Kano states respectively. "The Secretary made clear that the USA feels strongly about the need to go after groups like the Haqqani Network that threaten the United States, threaten, certainly, U.S. forces operating in Afghanistan", Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook told reporters.
The suspect who gave his name as Abubakar Sadiq, works as a night watchman to one Muhammad Daggash. The suspect who marches the photograph of suspect Number 40 on the poster on the 100 wanted suspected Boko Haraam terrorists list and was arrested after painstaking effort and tracking by the police. "There is no doubt that the arrests of the suspected terrorists are important milestones which show the synergy of effort in the fight against terrorism and insurgency in Nigeria among the security agencies and the public," a statement by Colonel Sani Kukasheka, acting Director Army Public Relations said.
Buhari criticized the 18-year-old U.S. law forbidding the provision of weapons to the Nigerian army because of past human rights violations. "Regrettably, the blanket application of the Leahy Law by the United States on the grounds of unproven allegations of human rights violations leveled against our forces has denied us access to appropriate strategic weapons to prosecute the war," he said, reports AFP, adding that the Nigerian army "do not possess the appropriate weapons and technology which we could have had if the so-called human rights violations had not been an obstacle."
Nigerian troops operating in the Northern Borno State towns of Gudumbali and Kareto had slight setback within the week. However, the situation is being stabilized. Acting Director Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman in a statement said the troops have re-joined their units for further action. According to Kukasheka, the earlier media reports were exaggerated.
The Nigerian army on Wednesday said security forces in the northeast region of the country have arrested two persons on a list of 100 most-wanted Boko Haram suspects. According to a statement signed by army spokesman, Col. Sani Kukasheka Usman, the suspects, identified as Abubakar Sadiq and Mohammed Usman, were arrested in the restive Borno State. The two suspects were identified as those whose pictures were respectively displayed on number 28 and number 40 of the most-wanted Boko Haram suspects' list by the Nigerian army last month.
Special Forces of the Nigerian Army supported by Nigeria Airforce aircraft, have killed about 40 Boko Haram terrorists and destroyed their rocket fabrication factory after carrying out several raids and attacks on Boko Haram camps, rocket making factory and foiling attempts to attack troops' location. Army Headquarters in a statement detailing the operations which occurred at the North East epicenter, said, "as part of series of successes being recorded by the Nigerian Army in the fight against the Boko Haram terrorists, advancing troops of 154 Task Force Battalion of 29 Task Force Brigade, yesterday cleared Boko Haram terrorists camp at Matali, Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State. operation quite a number of terrorists were killed and some weapons and Improvised Explosive making Devices, IEDs were recovered." The statement signed by Acting Director, Army Public Relations, recalled that "In the early hours of Monday morning, the Boko Haram terrorists made spirited attempt to attack troop's location using 3 VB IED'S at Mada which was successfully repelled. "During the attack which was meant to thwart the troop's advancement, 26 terrorists were killed while 3 soldiers sustained injuries.
During the operation, quite a number of terrorists were killed and some weapons and Improvised Explosive making Devices were recovered. During the attack, which the Army said was meant to thwart the troops advancement, 26 terrorists were killed, while three soldiers sustained injury. Similarly, troops of 21 Brigade had also on fighting patrol at Firgi killed three Boko Haram terrorists, rescued three women and recovered a vehicle and other items, while the rest fled deep into Sambisa forest.
ABUJA * Nigerian troops were denied weapons to fight Boko Haram and thousands of lives were lost because of rampant fraud in the procurement process, President Muhammadu Buhari has alleged. Some US$5.3 billion was provided to the Office of the National Security Adviser, Defence Headquarters and the headquarters of the army, navy and air force, the statement said.
Buhari ordered anyone involved in corrupt multi-billion dollar deals for weapons and equipment to be "brought to book" after receiving a report from a committee set up to probe the issue. "The findings made so far are extremely worrying considering that the interventions were granted within the same period that our troops fighting the insurgency in the northeast were in desperate need of platforms, military equipment and ammunition," he said late Tuesday.
Nigerian troops were denied weapons to fight Boko Haram and thousands of lives were lost because of rampant fraud in the procurement process, President Muhammadu Buhari has alleged. Some US$5.3 billion (RM23.1 billion) was provided to the Office of the National Security Adviser, Defence Headquarters and the headquarters of the army, navy and air force, the statement said.