The apex socio-cultural group, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has expressed worries over the recent and frequent attacks on villages and even states capital of Borno and Yobe by the Boko Haram insurgents leading to the death of hundreds of innocent people. With the adequate supply of equipment and other logistic support to the military, Nigerians expect to see offensive attack on the terrorists."
The governor, while addressing surviving residents of Zabarmari, urged the fleeing villagers trooping to Maiduguri to return to their respective houses. "Since the military have repelled the insurgents from destroying this village, the people should not run and flee to Maiduguri for safety, but return to your homes which were burnt apart from the torched shops and local market," Shettima said. Councilor of the affected area, Alhaji Mohammed Bello while briefing the governor on recent attacks, said the soldiers have tried their best in repelling the insurgents.
"Before we left Kukawa on Friday, 113 people had been buried. Five more swollen corpses were just discovered, making the total death toll 118. But this excludes the people that died in the bush," parliamentarian Haruna Kukawa told AFP. At least 97 people were initially said to have been killed on Wednesday when Boko Haram militants attacked homes and mosques in the village, some 185 kilometres from Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state and the birthplace of the movement.
The army deserter, who identified himself as Joseph Emenike, was said to have served at 101 battalion, Niger state; he denied running away from Boko Haram insurgents in Borno state. Hyacinth Dagala, the state Commissioner of Police, while parading the suspects, explained that the 22 suspects were arrested across the state for various crimes; ranging from kidnapping, robbery, criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of fire arms and culpable homicide.
About 1.4 million persons have been displaced by insurgency and communal clashes in the six North-east states of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba and Yobe, according to the June 2015 Displacement Tracking Matrix released by the International Organisation for Migration in conjunction with National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). The statement indicated that Displacement Tracking Matrix programme was being carried out to support the Nigerian authorities and the humanitarian partners on the ground to undertake IDP assessments in a unified and systematised manner with the objective of establishing a comprehensive profile of the IDP population and advising the humanitarian response.
A local vigilante disclosed that the insurgents went to Mussa, a remote village in Askira/Uba Local Government and killed the residents. About 32 churches in Mussa district and over 300 houses were burnt down, the source said. "Our people are been camped in Gombio village but there is no food and water . The security in the area is a serious concern for us. We are in a helpless situation someone should help us," Apagu pleaded Some fleeing residents disclosed that they had informed security operatives of the threat they were facing but no immediate action was taken to forestall any attack.
ACF, in a statement signed by it National Publicity Secretary, Muhammad Ibrahim and made available to newsmen in Kaduna yesterday, said with the renewed attack directed on people, especially in the holy month of Ramadan, it showed that the Boko Haram insurgents are cultists in form, character and operation as their claim to be Muslims is untenable.
More than 200 students of the school were abducted by suspected insurgents on April 14, 2014, while writing their final examination. Yakubu Maina, the Chairman of the association of parents of the abducted girls, raised the alert at a news conference in Maiduguri. Maina, supported by the Secretary of the association, Lawan Zanna, lamented the group had often deceived some parents of the girls into attending their functions only to be duped.
Duhu, said Ndume as a man of integrity, probity who gives out selfless leadership to the people of the North- East would replicate that in the eight Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. "He has been responsible for the payment of monthly salaries of the members of staff of the defunct ANPP, for all the years he was the leader.
At this very moment, my thoughts go to the families of the victims. Just last month, EU Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides provided EU21 million in humanitarian aid to help displaced people in Nigeria and neighbouring countries affected by the violence of terrorist organisations. The EU stands with the Nigerian people and authorities in our common fight against terrorism. The EU will continue to support the country in its social and economic development, as well as to tackle urgent needs.
According to military sources, the military had sustained the onslaught on terrorists' camps, killing many of them and destroying their weapons. On what had happened in the last one month, a top military source said: "While the terrorists have engaged in guerrilla tactics of using vulnerable girls and young men for suicide attacks on soft targets, we ensure that their fighters do not escape as they continue to meet their waterloos in the hand of the troops."
Parents of the abducted pupils of Government Secondary School (GSS), Chibok, Borno State, yesterday alerted the public on the activities of fraudsters using their names to defraud Nigerians and corporate bodies. Mr. Yakubu Maina, the chairman of the Association of Parents of Abducted Girls, raised the alert at a news conference in Maiduguri.